Wednesday 25 November 2009

A shout out to the New York Posse!

OK, tonight I'm a wee bit tired, so I just want to pass on three sites to you; one written and virtual, the other two very real; all worth a good look!

All hail from within the five boroughs which make up one of my wife's and my favourite places - New York! What? The picture of Chrysler gave it away, right?

The first is a blog site I came across only in the last four days or so, but it's a great read, with some amazing photographs of a bygone, almost mystical era in New York's history; written by a guy, Harry Delf, who obviously has a deeply modulated passion for his subject - perhaps not surprisingly, as it covers his family's history working and living in this great city. Some of the obvious treasure trove of personal, family, and other artefacts Harry's uncovered are stunning - I hope you enjoy them as much as I have been doing! Here it is: Harry Delf's "Family Archive".  And don't miss Harry's links on this same site to his other projects: see them under 'Vaudeville Redux'.

OK, next for shaving is the The Montauk Club, in Brooklyn. One of my mates, Bill Webber's, a member there - and, so I'm told, they have a menu and wine cellar to match anything to be found in NYC! By the looks, the architecture and history behind the place is worth an afternoon's promenade-n-perusal in itself. Bill's a man of his word, so I'm inclined to accept this view without much debate.

And to round off, here's the band whom Bill's club has booked for their New Year's Eve celebrations: Michael Arenella & His Dreamland Orchestra - play the videos on the link to get a feel for the period they cover (wonderfully Jazz-era radio-decadent!) - I can see Bill in his charleston tutu now...

Enjoy!
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. That's the Chrysler building? I thought it was the Empire state. but then again, my knowledge of history aint gonna knock Harry Delf off his perch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cosmic Navel Lint25 November 2009 at 17:00

    Yep, that's Chrysler - here's the Empire State:

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment on this post

Related Posts with Thumbnails